What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatment, also technically known as Endodontic treatment is when the center of the tooth consisting of nerves, blood vessels and connective tissues, also known as pulp is removed. This is done to save a tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted.
Once all the pulp has been successfully removed, the tooth is then filled and sealed to prevent bacteria from entering. As the pulp supplies feeling to a tooth, when it is removed there is no pain and discomfort to that tooth anymore.
Why Might I Need Root Canal Treatment in Camberwell?
If you’re experiencing lingering pain or tooth pain or the feeling of being really sensitive to hot drinks, you may need a root canal. When a decayed tooth is left untreated, it can result in an infected pulp. Other causes such as trauma to the tooth can also cause a tooth to die resulting in root canal treatment. In order to keep these teeth in your mouth for many years to come, root canal treatment is necessary to save your tooth. At Riversdale dental, our family dentist can help advise the best possible treatment for a root canal.
What Should I Expect With Root Canal Treatment in Camberwell?
Your root canal treatment is typically completed within 3 to 4 visits.
• The dentist will make an opening in the top of the infected tooth
• The infected pulp (nerve) and bacteria are flushed out with disinfectant and the root canals are cleaned with special instruments (often called dental files)
• The pulp chamber and root canal are filled and sealed
• The tooth opening is restored with a filling
• After root canal treatment, a tooth becomes brittle. To prevent it from breaking while eating, your Riversdale Dental dentist in Camberwell will cover the tooth with a crown
Are There Other Options Instead Of Root Canal Treatment?
• The most obvious alternative to a root canal is simply extracting the tooth. Our family dentist in Camberwell will tell you that it is always best practice to save the tooth whenever possible.
• Another alternative is a bridge denture . This would be if you elect to remove the tooth and replace it with a dental bridge. Your dentist will explain the pros and cons of choosing this dental replacement over a root canal.
• A dental implant can also provide a similar alternative. Only your dentist can guide you to the right choice for you depending on whether the nerves have not yet been infected and the severity of the infection or inflammation. Dental implants can replace teeth but remember an implant is a replacement for a tooth it is not a tooth so it also has some things to consider. It is also more expensive than a root canal treatment.
Looking for Root Canal Treatment in Camberwell?
We want to welcome your family to Riversdale Dental. If you live in or near Camberwell and need any cosmetic dentistry services, schedule a consultation for general dental services.
Contact us today at (03) 9882 5566. Schedule your family’s consultation at Riversdale Dental today!